The World of Work is Changing

in OTC's Blog Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 pm
by OTC • 72 Posts

The world of work is changing at a pace so rapid that many find it difficult to keep up. Individuals who have not been in the jobs market for a few months are finding themselves trying to catch up with new ways of seeking jobs, applying for jobs, re-training and making themselves employable. Many high street employment agencies are no longer there and applicants must know how to search JobsBoards and upload CVs. If an IT course is necessary and college courses start in September, what good is that to someone who is desperately trying to get a new job in January? If you are offered a paralegal/legal secretary job, would you want to wait to complete a course by sitting in a classroom for so many hours per week when it could be done online within weeks?

The belief that having studied for at least a year makes one more qualified than someone who has done an intensive course within months is no longer applicable. There are, of course, exceptions. You would not like to be treated by a GP or a dentist who has just completed an intensive medical course within 6 months, would you?

We have always been of the belief that students can be taught quickly with intensive training and the proof of their skills lies in the testing. If one needs to know someone else’s ability, give them the relevant tests. I have always been impatient, wanting to do things now, get that new job now, complete my driving lessons now. If I order something, I would like it delivered now. This is the new world. If you are not capable of adapting, someone is going to take your place.

To cater to this new world of work, the number of training institutions has exploded, with franchises opening up everywhere. This can create hidden dangers and the term ‘ caveat emptor’ must apply.

So grasp the changes wholeheartedly and go seek ways to improve your skills to get that job and just in case you need further convincing, here’s a quote from one of our students just last week ….

Hi,

You wanted to be kept updated, so I thought I should let you know that an agency has passed my CV over to Latham & Watkins. They havent any vacancies at the moment but the guy who contacted was so impressed with my CV he wants to meet me when he returns from his overseas business trip. If he likes me in person as much as on paper he will create a role for me! Fingers crossed!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Jaclyn Campoli
Board Statistics
The forum has 77 topics and 109 posts.

0 members have been online today: